19 September 2010

Reference book

I packed so carefully to go to Maine. And, I did pretty well, using everything I took. But, as I packed twice I picked up my Audubon "Field Guide to Wildflowers" from the bedside table and put it in my suitcase; twice I thought better of it. I was considering the extra weight. I was also assuming, given the time of year, that I'd not actually need it. Too bad.

I spent this afternoon going through images from the trip, using that longed-for reference book as I went. An amazing number of things in bloom in Maine's late summer.

Pearly Everlasting (Anaphalis margaritacea; Aster family)

Orange Hawkweed; Devil's Paintbrush (Hieracium aruantiacum; Aster family)

Spotted Touch-me-not; Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis; Touch-Me-Not family)

Wild Lupine (Lupinus perinnis; Pea family)

Beach Heath, False Heather; Poverty Grass (Hudsonia tomentosa; Rockrose family); a tiny yellow flower rather overwhelmed by the gorp bag

Virgin's Bower (Clematis virginiana; Buttercup family)

Blue Vetch; Cow Vetch (Vicia cracca; Pea family)

Harebell; Bluebell (Campanula rotundifolia; Bellflower family)

Bunchberry (Cornus canadensis; Dogwood family)

Calico Aster (Aster lateriflorus; Aster family)


We're leaving for Utah at the end of September. Will I take my field guide this time? I'd like to say yes, but it's the eastern edition.

Oh well ...

No comments: