11 January 2009

Pine cones

No, I can't explain it. For this Advent/Christmas season just passed I began collecting pinecones, along the golf course at the Pine Ridge Country Club, in my parents' yard at Pawleys Island, and anywhere else I found myself. There's an unexpected fascination I've not experienced before. I enjoyed having them in the house, specifically in the dining room table arrangement, on the mantle with pine boughs, in a lovely Edgefield pottery bowl (an Ed Redman piece) and felt a twinge of sadness as Tal and I put them away along with the rest of the Christmas decorations.

This cone caught my eye yesterday afternoon as I walked along the edge of the sixth hole. From a white pine, I believe. And, I happened to have the camera with me.


I won't describe the getting back up after taking the shot ...

No comments: