15 February 2011

Bumper sticker

I drove Tal to Columbia today for a doctor's appointment.  It's been a long time, several years in fact, since he has seen this particular physician and I found on arriving at the parking garage that the drill had been changed.  I parked where I could and inquired at the desk as Tal checked in about the new procedure.  Armed the the necessary code to gain entry to the garage I went to move the car.

During that maneuver I noticed this bumper sticker and laughed out loud.  Maybe no truer words have been penned.  Since the sign included an attribute, once home I typed Laurel Thatcher Ulrich in to the browser.  Evidently, she's a force to be reckoned with and knows of which she writes and speaks. 

This particular line appears in an article Ulrich wrote
on little-studied Puritan funeral services.
It's also the title of a more recent book.

No comments: