07 January 2009

Domesticity

I have a list. More than one, actually, but the one on my mind keeps in one place all the things I'd like to accomplish here at home, from organizing the CDs and DVDs to rearranging the living room and gallery. Those are the big things. Now, the little things ... putting meals on the table, sweeping up dog hair (it's black, by the way), keeping the bills paid and the dishwasher loaded and unloaded ... are on a list, too, but they're more every day, cyclical, never-ending.

When I was working full-time, we had a kind and patient lady who came a couple times a month to clean. "Delores days" were my favorite days. How I loved coming home -- to shiny floors, carpet with vacuum tracks in it, swept porches. What I am learning now that I have taken that kind and patient lady's place is that I like vacuuming upholstery, dusting the fronts of the books, wiping down baseboards, not to mention drying glassware and polishing silver. That's a good thing since it has to be done and none of it's once-and-for-all.

There's that black, long-haired dog, after all.

No comments: